These guidance notes have been produced to help you complete the application form for the Newcastle University Sanctuary Scholarships for 2023 entry.
Please read the guidance notes fully before completing the application form.
Before making an application for the Sanctuary Scholarship please ensure that you fully understand and meet the eligibility criteria for the scholarship.
Applicants will be required to submit a supporting reference and evidence of their immigration status. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at Newcastle University.
If you have any questions about the Sanctuary Scholarship please contact the Student Financial Support Team at [email protected].
Completing the Application Form
There are seven sections to complete in the application form. Please complete each section, as incomplete applications will not be considered.
The application form has been designed to assess your eligibility and suitability for the Sanctuary Scholarship, however you are not required to provide personal information about your reasons for coming to the UK/seeking asylum.
Section 1: Personal Details
Please complete this section carefully and accurately, as mistakes here may lead to delays in processing your application. We require this information in order to be able to contact you about your application, and link your scholarship application to your application to the University for a place to study.
Section 2: Educational Details
Please ensure you give details of any previous higher education study, either in the UK or abroad, including the name of the institution and course you studied, the dates you started and finished the course, and whether you completed and were awarded any qualification.
Section 3: Eligibility for the Sanctuary Scholarship
This section is about your immigration status and whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the scholarship. Please note that the information we ask for in this section will only be used to determine whether you are eligible for the scholarship in relation to your current immigration status in the UK. We do not need you to provide details on the circumstances that led you to the UK.
You will need to evidence your current immigration status with documentation such as a Biometric Residence Permit, Home Office letters, or a solicitor’s letter. If you are unsure about your current immigration status please speak to your solicitor, or to your family member if you are listed as a dependent on a family member’s immigration application.
Section 4: Support
This section asks for information about your living arrangements and any additional support you may need with regards to your personal circumstances. Information about your living arrangements and circumstances will help us assess whether the scholarship we offer meets your needs regarding your living arrangements.
Section 5: Personal Statement for the Sanctuary Scholarship
This section assesses your suitability for the Sanctuary Scholarship and is divided into three questions. Please provide a detailed response to each question and ensure that in your answers you have included:
• Your rationale for wanting to access Higher Education, including your future ambitions and aspirations, and how your chosen course will help you achieve these.
• The barriers you have faced in continuing your education and how you have tried to overcome these.
• Details of your financial circumstances and any previous applications you have made for funding.
The selection panel will only be able to take into account information that you have provided in your application form.
Section 6: Referee Details
You are expected to provide a referee statements to support your Sanctuary Scholarship application. Your reference statement is an important part of the selection process and it is your responsibility to ensure that your referee sends the supporting statement.
Please note: the University will not contact the referee to provide the reference and any application without the supporting statement by the closing deadline will not be considered.
The reference letter is an important part of the selection process, so please be sure to include all of the requested information, as well as any other information you believe should be taken into consideration by the selection panel.
Please remember the following:
• The referee must provide their full name.
• The application will not be accepted without a supporting statement. • The reference should cover the following:
• What are the applicant’s personal and financial circumstances and what barriers have they overcome to continue their education?
- How well suited is the applicant to the higher education course they plan to undertake, and how realistic are the applicant’s ambitions?
- What contribution, to your knowledge, has the applicant made to their community, or to school/college life (if applicable)?
- Is there any other information that you believe is relevant to this application
- How do you think the applicant would benefit from the support offered bythe Sanctuary Scholarship?
Applications will only be considered if they are accompanied by a reference that is signed, dated, and on letterhead.
Section 7: Declaration
Please ensure you have ticked all the relevant boxes, as failure to do so will mean we are unable to consider your application.