Find out more about and apply for the York Global Widening Participation Scholarship. Applications are open until 17 February 2023, 11.59pm GMT.
What the scholarship covers
The York Global Widening Participation Scholarship covers the following:
- programme fee (£3,497)
- travel costs (according to the University’s travel and expenses policy)
- passport and visa costs (up to £300)
- £100 spending money
Three full scholarships are available for secondary/high school students from Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa and Ukraine.
You qualify to apply for this scholarship if:
- you are currently in secondary education
- you hold a citizenship from any country in Latin America or Sub-Saharan Africa or from Ukraine
- you meet our minimum recommended level of English language skills, ie CEFR B2, IELTS 5, TOEFL 44+ or Duolingo 75+ (no need for a language exam)
- you can prove your academic motivation
- your family’s financial situation would not enable you to participate in the programme without this scholarship
- this would be your first study abroad experience.
You are more likely to get the scholarship if:
- neither of your parents attended university (or they went to university as a mature student during your secondary education)
- you are estranged from your family
- you are from a military family (while you have been in education, your parent(s) have served in the military)
- you have a disability or long term health condition*
- you identify as LGBTQI+
- you belong to an ethnic minority group in your country.
*Due to the study abroad nature of the programme, you must be able to travel independently.
How to apply
In order to be considered for a scholarship, you must submit an online application.
Applications are open until 17 February 2023, 11.59pm GMT.
Prepare your application
Submit your application
You must complete our electronic scholarship application form.
We recommend that you only start filling it in after you have received the school support letter and written up your personal statement.
What happens after you apply
After the application deadline, we review all scholarship applications and evaluate them against the selection criteria.
If your application is shortlisted, we will invite you to a short online interview to further discuss your application. Interviews will take place between 27 February and 3 March 2023. Please make sure that you are available to talk to us on these days.